Published February 24, 2010
Updated March 22, 2022
PLEASE NOTE: The issue and troubleshooting outlined in this article pertains to older versions of Universal Control and OSX operating systems. This article is no longer relevant to current software and computers.
There was a known issue that prevents the FireStudio family driver from properly overwriting earlier versions of its files on some systems. This created a driver conflict that prevents the control panel from working properly. A complete manual uninstall of the driver can resolve this issue.
PLEASE NOTE: Your FireStudio family interface should have a solid blue sync light and will be recognized within the AudioMIDI setup utility as an available audio and MIDI device if a driver conflict is the cause of the errors listed above. This FAQ will guide you through the complete uninstall process and well as downloading the latest driver from the PreSonus website and installing in on your Mac.
Removing FireStudio family Driver Files
1. Disconnect your FireStudio Family interface
2. Double click on MacHD to launch a new finder window. The following list includes every possible file that may have been installed on your Mac, depending on which driver versions you have installed. If you do not see one of these files, do not be alarmed. The files are listed by location tree. For example, to locate the MacHD/Library/Preferences/PaeFireStudio.startup file, you will double click on MacHD and Open the Library folder. In the Library folder, you will open the Preferences folder where you will find the PaeFireStudio.startup file. This is the file you will move to the Trash.
Delete the following from your computer (note some files will require that you type in your administrative password):
• MacHD/Applications/Universal Control
• MacHD/Applications/FireStudio Control Console
• MacHD/Applications/FireStudio Lightpipe Mixer
• MacHD/Library/Application Support/PaeFireStudio
• MacHD/Library/Application Support/PreSonus
• MacHD/Library/Startup Items/PaeFireStudio
• MacHD/Users/YOUR USERNAME /Library/Caches/Juce/jucAppLock_Universal Control
• MacHD/Users/YOUR USERNAME/Library/Caches/Juce/Universal Control
• MacHD/Users/YOUR USERNAME /Library/Preferences/FireControlSettings.settings
• MacHD/Users/YOUR USERNAME/Library/PreSonus
3. Click on the Finder Menu at the top of your screen and select “Empty Trash”
4. Reboot your computer
Repairing Disk Permissions
5. Go to MacHD/Applications/Utilities/ and open “Disk Utility”
6. Select your System drive from list on the left
7. Click “Repair Disk Permissions”
8. Once your Disk Permissions have been repaired, Shut down your Mac
Resetting your PRAM
9. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously
10. Turn on the computer
11. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
12. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
13. Release the keys. At this point, your computer should be completely zeroed out and you can reinstall.
Downloading and Installing the driver
14. Go to Product Downloads
15. Download the driver for you FireStudio family product from the PreSonus website. The zipped file will be automatically extracted and stored in the Downloads folder on your computer unless you have manually changed this preference in Safari.
16. Quit your web browser and any other application you have running
17. Go to MacHD/Users/YOUR USERNAME/Downloads and locate the “PreSonus_Universal_Control_MAC folder and open it
18. Double click on the PreSonus Universal Control.dmg to open the disk image on your desktop
19. Double click on the PreSonus Universal Control disk image on your desktop
20. Double click on PreSonus Universal Control.pkg to launch the installer
21. When the installer launches, click “Continue”
22. Click on the icon of your Internal hard drive and click “Continue”
23. Click “Install”
24. When the installation has finished, click “Finish”
25. Reboot your computer
26. Once your computer has rebooted, connect your FireStudio family interface. When your interface has synced with your computer, it is ready for use.
Please contact PreSonus Technical Support by creating a Support Ticket at My.PreSonus.com for further assistance.