Updated Mar 2021
StudioLive AI mixer Firmware Update
NOTE: The Firmware Update process is designed to preserve your mixer's Scene and Fat Channel Preset memory, but as a precaution we always recommend you back up your scenes and presets in the VSL-AI browser before updating firmware. See here for info on how to save your scenes and presets to your computer in Universal Control:
StudioLive AI Scene and Preset Backup and Transfer
It is highly suggested that when doing firmware updates or the Firmware Recovery process through USB flash drives that you complete this process with a Sandisk drive as mentioned on the below knowledge base article. Not all flash drives will be able to complete this process correctly, and the suggested drives have been tested well to complete this process:
SanDisk Cruzer USB Flash Drive Compatibility with StudioLive AI
***Please review all instructions before updating your mixer.***
1. Download the firmware files for you mixer from your My Presonus account. To find these files, click on "Products," then click "Hardware" and lastly click "View More Details." Once the page loads, scroll down to the downloads section and select the version of firmware you would like to install.
****NOTE: StudioLive AI mixers do not "share" firmware files. The different firmware files are particular to 16.4.2 AI, 24.4.2 AI, and 32.4.2 AI mixer models, exclusively. Loading the wrong firmware can cause the mixer to not function properly or potentially damage the unit.
2. Open your downloads folder and locate the StudioLive firmware folder. The folder will be named with your mixer’s model number and the new firmware version (e.g., SL3242AI_v4733).
3. Depending on your system preferences, the firmware folder may not automatically uncompressed from the .zip file. To expand it, simply double-click it:
4. Open the firmware folder; you will find five files inside. You will need all five files to upgrade your mixer:
5. Connect a FAT32-formatted USB thumb drive to your computer.
Power User Tip: Most small USB drives (16 GB or less) should be formatted correctly, but if your mixer does not detect your thumb drive at first, we suggest reformatting it again, even if it's already formatted as Fat32. On Windows, be sure to do a "Full" format as opposed to a "Quick" format. On Macs, the choice will be listed as MS-DOS (Fat)
NOTE to Mac Users - If your Mac is running OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later, you will need to make sure to adhere to the following extra step in order to format a USB drive for loading firmware on your mixer (Users with Mac running OS X versions earlier than 10.11 can skip to Step 6):
Leave name set to "Untitled" & set Format to "MS-DOS (FAT)"
Change Scheme type to "Master Boot Record"
After verifying your settings look like the screenshot below, click "Erase"
Once the format is complete, move on to Step 6...
6. Select all five firmware files and either copy/paste or drag them to the root of your thumb drive. Make sure the files are at the top level of your drive and not contained in a folder. It’s also advised to make sure no other files are on the drive other than the five firmware files. Eject your drive and disconnect it from your computer.Eject your drive and disconnect it from your computer.
7. Power on your StudioLive AI mixer.
8. Remove the Wi-Fi LAN adapter (if connected).
9. Plug in the USB thumb drive containing the firmware files.
10. It will take approximately five to ten seconds for your mixer to detect your thumb drive. Count to at least five slowly before proceeding to the next step (some drives may take a bit longer)
11. Press the System button
12. Press the Pg Dn button until you reach the last page of the System Menu (Page 9)
13. Press the Recall button
14. You will be instructed that the mixer is reading the firmware update files. Warning: Do not power of the mixer during the update. The update will take up to 30 seconds
15. When the update is complete, you will be prompted to restart the mixer
16. Power down your mixer
17. Remove the thumb drive
18. Insert your USB LAN adapter (if you want to connect wirelessly to your router) and power your mixer back on. Note: Be sure that your speakers are powered off or disconnected, as there will be a small pop when the mixer reboots
19. Your mixer will now complete the next portion of the update process.
Depending on which firmware version you’re updating from, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes or so for the mixer to complete the update.
You may see some additional progress information or further instructions on the LCD screen depending on your firmware version and installed option card.
Follow any directions displayed on the screen. Once the process is complete, your mixer will finish the normal boot process and be ready for use again.
Please contact PreSonus Technical Support by creating a Support Ticket at My.PreSonus.com/Support for further assistance.
>How to create a support ticket<