Updated Feb 24, 2021
Your StudioLive RM Series mixer can be updated by simply connecting a USB thumb drive loaded with the firmware files.
Please be sure to review all instructions before updating your StudioLive RM Series mixer.
Note: While a regular Firmware Update will not reset your mixer or erase your Scenes and Presets, it is highly recommended that you make a mixer Backup as a precaution prior to updating. This Backup file can then be restored to the mixer if it’s ever necessary to reload the Scenes and Presets you had saved previously.
It is important to understand that a mixer Backup will only backup your Scenes, Quick Scenes, Mute Groups, and Fat Channel, FX, and GEQ presets. It does NOT backup the current settings of the mixer. You must first save these settings as a Scene to the internal Scene Memory of the mixer so that a Backup will capture that information.
For more information on Scene and Preset management and creating mixer Backups in UC Surface, please see this Knowledgebase Article.
It is highly recommended that when doing a Firmware Recovery that you use a Sandisk Cruzer USB flash drive between 2-8 GB as mentioned in the following knowledge base article. It is important that you use a drive no smaller than 1 GB and no larger than 32 GB in size. Some flash drives will not work correctly for Firmware Recovery, but Sandisk Cruzer drives have shown to be reliable and compatible:
SanDisk Cruzer USB Flash Drive Compatibility with StudioLive AI
Note: If you are updating your RM Mixer from firmware version 5844 or earlier, please watch the video link shown in STEP 10 to see what to expect when updating. If you are updating from any other firmware version after 5844, you may skip this video as it will not apply.
1. Download the firmware files for your mixer from your My Presonus account.
To get to these files:
> Click on the 'Products' tab
>Click the 'Hardware' tab
>Click on the picture of your mixer.
On the page that follows, click on get latest firmware.
On the subsequent page, click 'Download StudioLive firmware.
2. Open your “Downloads” folder and locate the downloaded firmware .zip file. The .zip file will be named with your mixer’s model number and the new firmware version (e.g., RM32AI_v5550).
3. Depending on your system preferences, the firmware folder may not automatically uncompress from the .zip file. To expand, simply double-click it.
4. Open the firmware folder; you will find five files inside:
You will need all five files to upgrade your mixer.
5. Connect a FAT32-formatted USB thumb drive to your computer.
Note: We recommend doing a fresh format of the drive. It is important that you use a drive no smaller than 1 GB and no larger than 32 GB in size. If the update cannot start or complete, it is highly recommended that you do a full reformat of your thumb drive as FAT32. If you’re still unsuccessful, you may need to try a different USB thumb drive.
On Windows, be sure to do a "Full" format as opposed to a "Quick" format.
On Mac, the choice will be listed as MS-DOS (FAT). IMPORTANT: As of OSX 10.11 El Capitan, there is an additional format option you MUST select. “Partition Type” should be set to “Master Boot Record” and NOT the default “GUID”. See here for more info.
NOTE to Mac Users - If your Mac is running OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later, you will need to make sure to adhere to the following extra step in order to format a USB drive for loading firmware on your mixer (Users with Mac running OS X versions earlier than 10.11 can skip to Step 6):
Leave name set to "Untitled" & set Format to "MS-DOS (FAT)"
Change Scheme type to "Master Boot Record"
After verifying your settings look like the screenshot below, click "Erase"
Once the format is complete, move on to Step 6...
6. Select all five firmware files and either copy/paste or drag them to the root of your thumb drive. Eject your drive and disconnect it from your computer.
7. Remove your WiFi Lan adapter (if inserted) and insert the thumb drive into the USB slot on the front of your RM Series mixer (Power on the mixer if it is not already on).
Note: It will take approximately five seconds for your mixer to detect your thumb drive. Count to five slowly before proceeding to the next step.
In order to control the mixer with UC Surface, you will need either a network connection or a firewire connection to the mixer. Making a wired network connection to the RM mixer is described in section 3.3 Wired Ethernet Control Setup. Connecting the mixer to a computer using Firewire is described in section 3.5 Computer Recording Setup.
***** The next step is located on UC Surface after you have connected your RM mixer to a router/network via ethernet, or to a computer via Firewire:
StudioLive RM Mixer - Wired and Wireless Network Setup and Troubleshooting
8. Once you have physically connected your mixer to your network or computer, open UC Surface and connect to your RM Mixer. Click the Settings icon at the top right of the UC Surface window (gears icon). Under the Device Settings Tab, click “Check Firmware Update”.
9. A progress bar will be shown in UC Surface during the first part of the firmware update. Once it is complete, UC Surface will inform you that it is finished and will ask you to power-cycle the mixer.
10. The update progress will also be indicated on the mixer’s LED Input Signal indicators, showing progressing amber lights, and then all green lights when the update is complete.
PLEASE NOTE: Once you have power-cycled the mixer after the initial firmware update step, it may need to finish some final components of the firmware update. If this is the case, you will see the Channel LEDs on the front of the mixer illuminate amber from left to right as this is done. This can take up to 10 minutes to complete so please be patient. Once the final portion of the update is complete, all the Channel LEDs will illuminate green. When you see this, power cycle the mixer. This process may occur several times depending on what firmware version you are upgrading from and to. If your mixer does not do this, do not be alarmed as it may not be necessary for this particular update.
11. Once all portions of the update are complete, the mixer will show a solid red power light, indicating it is online and awaiting a UC Surface connection.
12. Restart UC Surface, revisit the Device Settings Tab in the Settings Menu and observe the firmware version shown. The last four digits of the firmware version reported there should match the version of the files you downloaded for your mixer.
Note: As of Firmware 7784, there are some new networking features for the RM series mixers that may result in UC Surface being unable to connect immediately after an update. If for any reason you are unable to connect with UC Surface and/or the Power light is solid purple, you will need to simply power cycle your mixer once more.
Please contact PreSonus Technical Support by creating a Support Ticket at My.PreSonus.com/Support for further assistance.
>How to create a support ticket<