Studio One 5. An Instrument Track is required for recording with an external MIDI device. This article will provide instructions and scenarios on setting up a Song to record with external MIDI devices in Studio One 5.
Please refer to this guide to create your external MIDI devices in Studio One. "Studio One 5 - How do I setup a hardware keyboard/synthesizer in Studio One 5?"
SETUP INSTRUMENT TRACK
Add an Instrument Track by going to Track > Add Instrument Track.
Once the Instrument Track is inserted, you may need to drag the track window down as shown in the image below to show all the MIDI selection boxes.
Below is a diagram that shows the Instrument Track MIDI IN, MIDI OUT, and MIDI CHANNEL selection boxes. If the MIDI OUT box does not show, please go to Studio One > Options > External devices. Edit that particular Instrument and place more checkmarks beside "MIDI channels".
COMMON SCENARIOS USING EXTERNAL MIDI
Bank and Program change will be used in these scenario's. Please refer to this article for a deeper understanding of MIDI: Bank & Program Change (External MIDI Hardware Devices).
Scenario One: You want to record using your MIDI Keyboard and an external MIDI sound module. Also, you would like to have Studio One save the Bank/Program that is used on this Instrument Track.
1. Add an Instrument Track. (A) "Your Device" is the MIDI output to your MIDI sound module. (B) "Your Keyboard" is the MIDI input from your MIDI keyboard. Once the track is added, open this tracks Track Inspector tab. To assign the Bank and Program this track uses, and so Studio One can save this with the Song, open the Track Inspector, place a check mark beside "Program". Then use Bank/Program to select the Bank and Program(sound) for this track.
If you do not see the option for "Program checkbox and Bank/Program", you may need to pull the window down in the Track Inspector as shown below.
Scenario Two: You have multiple MIDI tracks to use in Studio One, but no sounds have been assigned to them. You want to use these with an external MIDI sound module that is multitimbral. If the MIDI OUT box does not show on each track, please go to Studio One > Options > External devices. Edit that particular Instrument and place more check marks beside "MIDI channels".
1. Add all your MIDI tracks to a Studio One song. In this scenario, three MIDI tracks are being used.
- For each tracks MIDI out, set to (A) Your Device 2 is the example.
- (B) For track 1, assign the MIDI out to MIDI Channel 1.
- (C) For track 2, assign the MIDI out to MIDI Channel 2.
- (D) For track 3, assign the MIDI out to MIDI Channel 3.
In the Track Inspector for each track, place a check mark beside "Program", then use Bank/Program to select the Bank and Program(sound patch) for the selected track. This will tell the external MIDI device which Bank and Program to use for the selected track.
On your external MIDI sound module, make sure for each program/patch you choose, that each program/patch is assigned to the matching MIDI channel that Studio One will be sending MIDI out to.
Please refer to your MIDI devices documentation for assistance on assigning a MIDI channel to a program/patch.
- Part I - Studio One 5 - How Do I Setup a MIDI Hardware Keyboard/Synthesizer in Studio One 5?
- Part II - Studio One 5 - Setting up a Song to Record With a MIDI Hardware Keyboard/Synthesizer in Studio One 5
- Part III - Studio One 5 - Bounce MIDI to Audio From a Hardware Keyboard/Synthesizer in Studio One 5