18 Nov 2020
The process for using the Smaart Room Wizards is slightly different than it is for the StudioLive AI Consoles.
Because the StudioLive RM mixers do not have a dedicated Talkback channel, you must select the channel you will use as your Talkback Source.
NOTE: Since Ch.1 is used to send Pink Noise, Ch.1 can not be used as the Talkback Source when using the Smaart Room Wizards.
You can set the Talkback Source Channel by clicking on the Talkback channel strip in UC Surface and selecting the Source Channel from the dropdown in the upper left of the Fat Channel section.
You will also need to turn on 48v phantom power and adjust the input gain of the selected Talkback Source channel as needed depending on your microphone’s sensitivity and the output volume of your P.A. system. You can do this by selecting the channel strip for the channel you set as your Talkback Source.
Room Analysis Wizard
- To launch the Room Analysis wizard, go to Device Settings > Smaart Wizards tab, click on the Room Analysis tab and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Connect your RTA microphone to the designated Talkback Input
- Select the Output you would like to analyze
- Click OK to start the wizard.
- Place your microphone on-axis in front of the speaker you want to analyze. If you are analyzing a stereo bus, place your microphone on-axis in front of the Left speaker. See section 4.9.4 of the Software Manual for tips in choosing the best primary mic position.
- Choose Basic Analysis and hit OK (for Advanced Analysis, refer to section 4.9.1 of the Software Manual for more info)
- Raise the fader until the pink noise output through your speaker is louder than the ambient noise floor in the room. At the appropriate measurement level, you should not hear the air conditioning, traffic noise from the street, etc. To mute the pink noise at any time, simply click on the Speaker Icon.
- The meter under the pink noise level adjustment fader is showing the input level of the RTA microphone on the Talkback channel. Through a combination of Talkback channel input gain adjustment and pink noise output level adjustment, you will want to aim for around 0dB on the input meter (+/- 5dB)
- Click OK when the pink noise is at the appropriate level.
- Click Analyze to generate the frequency-response trace.
- Adjust the EQ to shape the frequency-response into the correct Trend for your application. (see the Software Manual section 4.9.6 Using the Trace: Spotting the Trend for guidance) In general, you do not want to boost any frequencies and you do not want to make any cuts greater than 6 dB. The frequency-response trace will refresh as you make your changes.
- Click Exit to complete the wizard.
Power User Tip: The EQ adjustments you have made with the Wizard were done using the Fat Channel EQ on the output bus you were analyzing. To save these EQ settings for future use, simply select the output bus and save its settings as a Fat Channel Preset.