If you are having a problem downloading the software or performing an internet activation, this article is for you.
Problem with the Download:
- Notion, Progression, and all of the sounds are hosted on a professional CDN. Not to say that any download system is perfect, but if you are having a problem with a dropped download or the download is taking an extremely long time, it is more than likely an issue on your end. Please take note of the following issues that can come up with networks.
- To accurately determine the speed at which you will be able to download your software, you can go to www.speedtest.net and run a test on your connection. ISP's use Mbps (small "b" indicates bits) and the web browsers use MBps (big "B" represents bytes). You will want to take the results of your speed test and divide the download speed by the number 8. For example, if your ISP is providing you with an 8 Mbps internet connection, the fastest that you will be able to download a file will be 1 MBps. With a 1MBps connection, it is normal for it to take over an hour to download all of the sounds for Notion.
- During peak hours, some ISP's will throttle the bandwidth back a bit in order to accommodate all of their customer's needs. It can never hurt to contact your ISP to see if there is a problem in your area or anything that can be done to speed up your connection.
- If you are on a wireless connection and your connection is slow or drops during the download process, you might want to try plugging your computer directly into your router or modem with an Ethernet cable. A wireless N connection or better is the ideal situation. You will have to have a Wireless N network card as well as a wireless N router. Even if you have a Wireless N router, it is possible that your network card only supports G and it is slowing down your connection. The N connection will allow you to send and receive data at the same time. Wireless G and below is a half-duplex connection and will only allow you to send or receive data at a specific moment in time. If you have a hub plugged into your router or modem and not a switch, you are limiting your connection to half-duplex.
- It never hurts to reboot your modem and router to troubleshoot connectivity issues. Remember, turn the modem back on first and then the router.
Problems with the internet activation:
- Notion uses port 443 to communicate with our authorization server. If you do not have port 443 open for inbound connections, Notion will communicate with our server, the authorization will go through but the license file is not downloaded to your computer. This will result in Notion asking you to authorize the program each time you open. Of course, after you do this twice, you will not be able to activate again. Contact us and we can assist you with a manual authorization if you do not want to reconfigure your router.
- If you are at a school, office, or anywhere that might use what is called a proxy server, Notion will not be able to connect to our authorization server. In this case, contact us and we can assist you with a manual authorization.
- It is also possible for a hardware or software firewall to block the license file being that it is developer data. In this case, contact us and we can manually authorize your computer.