18 Nov 2020
Any two StudioLive AI-series mixers can be cascaded, using a FireWire 800 cable, to create a single large-format console with full recording capability, playback, and remote control. From a functional standpoint, this will create a single mixer with the following configurations:
<StudioLive AI cascading requires firmware version 1.0.5436 and above to operate. Please go to your PreSonus User Account to find these updates in your Hardware Registration page.
NOTE: Universal Control AI (UC Surface) is compatible with the StudioLive 32.4.2AI, 24.4.2AI, 16.4.2AI and RM Mixer Series ONLY. It does not contain control panels for the FireStudio™ interfaces or for the StudioLive 24.4.2, 16.4.2, or 16.0.2 mixers (these devices will not cascade with StudioLive AI mixers).
***StudioLive Classic mixers and FireStudio Series interfaces are not supported in cascading and recording with StudioLive AI mixers.***
StudioLive AI mixers will only work with Universal Control AI (UC Surface) software and are not compatible with the original Universal Control Software or iOS Apps. For information on networking ("Linking" through ethernet/wireless) your StudioLive Ai mixers for iOS devices, please see the troubleshooting steps below:
Smaart Measurement Technology™ integrated in our mixers is not available for use when using cascading.
Functionality available with Firmware Version 1.0.5436 and above:
This will guide you through the syncing process and explain how two StudioLive AI mixers cascade to function as a single larger mixer.
Power User Tip: When recording with your cascaded mixer system, you must be connected with a FireWire 800 connection, or Thunderbolt connection using an FireWire 800-to-Thunderbolt adapter. FireWire 400 does not provide the bandwidth necessary to support a cascaded system and may not work correctly in similar speed devices (i.e. Hard drives). "HD Mode" (sampling rates above 48 khz on mixers) is not supported on cascaded AI mixers.
1. To cascade two StudioLive AI mixers to create a standalone system, connect a FireWire 800 cable from the first unit to the second unit.
2. Press the System button on the unit on the left (Mixer 1) and page down to Page 6: Digital.
3. Use the Next button to move to the Link ID field.
4. Use the value encoder to set the ID to “Slave.”
5. Press the System button on the right unit (Mixer 2) and page down to Page 6: Digital.
6. Verify that the Link ID is set to “Master.” You should now have cascading units functioning together.
How to Properly power Up/Down the mixers in sequence:
1. Power on the Master mixer, making sure to allow up to 20-30 seconds for boot up.
2. Power on the Slave, making sure to allow 20 - 30 seconds for boot up.
3. For power down, repeat steps in reverse order.