Technical Support receives questions every so often about Pro Tools i/o issues and/or limitations. After some research we’ve determined that:
- A Pro Tools 9.x, 10.x, and 11.x installation (Native) is limited to 32 i/o Channels (maximum).
- Avid only supports the i/o on a single interface/driver.
- There are situations where PT users have over 32 channels of i/o available and Pro Tools will not launch until the inputs and outputs in excess of 32 are disabled.
- On our StudioLive AI series Consoles and Rackmounts, including Cascaded systems, with Digital Returns that are firmware mapped to channel 33/34 cannot be used for playback. The return must be placed on input channels 32 and below. In all Series III consoles this applies except for the StudioLive 16R mixers.
- i/o must be recognized by the system as being a single interface (aggregate devices in Macs “may” work, but this is not a supported method)
The following link will explain some differences between versions of Pro Tools: